Chance of – ing
Мы говорим: `someone has a chance of doing something’ :
– Do you think I have a chance of passing the examination?
– We have a very good chance of winning the match.
Мы также можем сказать any/no/little/much chance:
– I don’t think I have much chance of finding a job.
– He has no chance of passing the examination.
Мы также можем сказать `stand a chance of doing something’:
– He doesn’t stand a chance of passing the examination.
Мы также можем сказать `What are the chances of something?’:
– What are the chances of success?
– What are my chances of passing the examination?
Мы также можем сказать `there is a chance of something happening’ или `there is a chance that something will happen’:
– Is there any chance of you lending me some money until tomorrow?
– There is a chance that I’ll be late home this evening.
to do something
Мы употребляем `chance to do something’ когда слово chance означает время или возможность сделать что-то.
– `Have you read the book I lent you?’ `No, I haven’t had a chance to look at it yet.’
– We didn’t have much chance to talk to each other when we last met.
– These days I don’t get much chance to watch television. I’m too busy.
Обычно мы говорим `opportunity to do something’ :
– I have the opportunity to study in the United States for a year. Do you think I should go?
– After the lecture there will be an opportunity to ask questions.
Вы можете сказать any/no/little/much/plenty of/more opportunity:
– Do you have much opportunity to speak English?
– We live near the mountains, so we have plenty of opportunity to go skiing.
Не говорите `possibility to do something’:
– I had the opportunity to study in Canada.