В прошлом году Джек и Джилл провели каникулы на море. Было дождливо, но они остались довольны.
Мы можем сказать:
Although it rained a lot, they enjoyed themselves. или: In spite of the rain, they enjoyed themselves.
Despite of the rain, they enjoyed themselves.
После although мы употребляем конструкцию подлежащее + сказуемое:
– Although she smokes 40 cigarettes a day, she is quite fit.
– Although it rained a lot, we enjoyed our holiday.
– I didn’t get the job although I had all the necessary qualifications.
После in spite of мы употребляем существительное, местоимение или – ing:
– In spite of the rain, we enjoyed our holiday.
– I didn’t get
– She wasn’t well, but in spite of this she went to work.
– Despite what I said last night, I still love you.
– I’m not tired in spite of working hard all day.
Отметьте, говорят `in spite of’, но despite. Можно также сказать in spite of/ despite the fact…:
– In spite of the fact I was tired, I couldn’t sleep.
– She’s quite fit despite the fact she smokes 40 cigarettes a day.
Сравните although и in spite of/despite:
– Although the traffic was bad, I arrived on time. In spite of the traffic, I arrived on time.
– I couldn’t sleep although I was very tired. I couldn’t sleep despite being very tired.
Иногда мы употребляем though вместо
– I didn’t get the job though I had all the necessary qualifications.
В разговорном английском though часто стоит в конце предложения:
– The house isn’t very nice. I like the garden though.
– I see him every day. I’ve never spoken to him though.
Even though – это более сильная форма слова although:
– Even though I was really tired, I couldn’t sleep.