Джо, Генри и Артур – миллионеры. Они очень богаты. У Джо $5 миллионов, у Генри – $4 миллиона, а у Артура – $2 миллиона. Таким образом:
Henry is rich. He is richer than Arthur. But he isn’t as rich as Joe.
Вот еще примеры с конструкцией not as… as:
– Jack isn’t as old as he looks.
– The city centre wasn’t as crowded this morning as it usually is.
– Jim didn’t do as well in his examination as he had hoped.
– `The weather’s better today, isn’t it?’ `Yes, it’s not as cold.’
– I don’t know as many people as you do.
Вы можете также сказать `not so… as’ :
– Henry isn’t so rich as Joe.
Вы также можете
– I’m sorry I’m late. I got here as fast as I could.
– There’s plenty of food, so eat as much as you like.
– Let’s walk. It’s just as quick as taking the bus.
– Can you send me the money as soon as possible, please?
Мы также говорим twice as… as, three times as… as и т. д.
– Petrol is twice as expensive as it was a few years ago.
– Their house is about three times as big as ours.
Мы говорим the same as :
– Ann’s salary is the same as mine.
– Tom is the same age as George.
– `What would you like to drink?’ `I’ll have the same as last time.’
После than и as более употребительны местоимения me/him/her/them/us, когда в предложении нет второго глагола. Сравните:
– You are taller than I am. но: You are taller than me.
– They have more money than we have. но: They have more money than us.
– I can’t run as fast as he can. но: I can’t run as fast as him.