Our football team lost yesterday. We all played badly.
Bill is our best player but yesterday even Bill played badly.
Мы используем even, чтобы сказать, что что-то необычно или удивительно. Мы говорим even Bill, потому что он хороший игрок и не в его стиле играть плохо. Если уж он играет плохо, то это, должно быть, плохой день для всей команды.
– These photographs aren’t very good. Even I could take better photographs than these.
– It’s a very rich country. Even the poorest people own cars.
– He always wears a coat – even in summer.
– Nobody would lend him the money – not even his best friend.
Очень часто мы употребляем even с глаголом в середине
– Don has travelled all over the world. He has even been to the Antarctic.
– He always wears a tie. He even wears a tie in bed!
– They are very rich. They even have their own private jet.
Вот еще ряд примеров с not even:
– I can’t cook. I can’t even boil an egg.
– They weren’t very friendly to us. They didn’t even say hello.
– He’s very fit. He’s just run five miles and he’s not even out of breath.
Можно использовать even со сравнительной степенью :
– It was very hot yesterday but today it’s even hotter.
– I got up at 6 o’clock but Jack got up even earlier.
– I knew I didn’t have much money but I’ve got even less than I thought.
– I was surprised to get a letter from her. I was even more surprised when she appeared at my door the next day.
Можно использовать even с if, when и though:
– I’ll probably see you tomorrow. But even if I don’t, we’re sure to see each other before the week-end.
– He never shouts even when he’s angry.
– He has bought a car even though he can’t drive.