После следующих выражений глагол заканчивается на – ing:
It’s no use / It’s no good…
– It’s no use worrying about it. There’s nothing you can do.
– It’s no good trying to persuade me. You won’t succeed.
There’s no point in…
– There’s no point in buying a car if you don’t want to drive it.
– There was no point in waiting, so we went.
– My house is only a short walk from here. It’s not worth taking a taxi.
– It was so late when we got home, it wasn’t worth going to bed.
Говорят:`a book is worth reading/a film is worth seeing’ и т. д.
– Do you think this book is worth reading?
– You should go and see the film. It’s really worth seeing.
– I had difficulty
– Did you have any difficulty getting a visa?
– People often have great difficulty reading my writing.
Запомните, говорят `difficulty’ :
– I’m sure you’ll have no difficulty passing the examination.
Также говорят ` difficulty in – ing’:
– He’s shy. He has difficulty in talking to people he doesn’t know well.
A waste of money / time…
– It’s a waste of time reading that book. It’s rubbish.
– It’s a waste of money buying things you don’t need.
Spend / waste…
– I spent hours trying to repair the clock.
– I waste a lot of time day-dreaming.
Go – ing
Для того, чтобы сказать о каком-либо действии используют go – ing: go shopping, go swimming, go skiing, go fishing, go climbing, go sailing, go riding, go sightseeing.
– How often do you go swimming?
– I’m going skiing next year.
– I have to go shopping this morning.
– I’ve never been sailing.