Изучите следующую ситуацию:
Last month Mary didn’t feel well. Ted didn’t know this, so he didn’t go to see her. After Mary got better they met again.
– If I had known that you were ill, I would have visited you.
В прошлом месяце Мэри плохо себя чувствовала. Тэд не знал об этом, поэтому не навестил ее. Они встретились снова, когда Мэри выздоровела.
– If I had known…
Когда вы говорите о прошлом, используйте past perfect после if.
– If I had known you were in Paris, I would have shown you the city.
– I would have gone out with you if I hadn’t had so much work.
Никогда не употребляйте would в условной части предложения:
– If I had met you yesterday, I would have invited you to the party.
Как would так и had могут быть сокращены до ‘d:
– If I’d met you, I’d have invited you to the party.
Вы также должны использовать past perfect после wish, когда вы сожалеете о чем-то, что случилось в прошлом:
– I wish I had known that Tim was ill. I would have come to see him.
– I feel sick. I wish I hadn’t eaten fish for dinner.
– Do you wish you had studied maths instead of languages?
– The weather was terrible.
Никогда не используйте would have после wish:
– We wish it had been warmer.
Would have – это форма прошедшего времени от would :
– If she had gone to the party yesterday, she would be tired now.
– If she had gone to the party yesterday, she would have seen us.
Вместо would have можно использовать might have и could have:
– If we’d trained harder, we might have won.
– We could have gone out if it hadn’t been raining.