Begin, start, intend, continue.
За этими глаголами обычно следуют – ing или to + инфинитив. Таким образом, можно сказать:
– The baby began crying. или The baby began to cry.
– It has started raining. или It has started to rain.
– John intends buying a house. или John intends to buy a house.
– He continued working after his illness. или He continued to work after his illness.
Remember to do и remember doing.
Вы remember to do something перед тем, как сделать. Remember to do something есть противоположность к `forget to do something’:
– I remembered to lock the door before I left but I forgot to shut the windows.
– Please remember to post the letter.
Вы remember doing something после выполнения действия.
I remember doing
– I clearly remember locking the door before I left.
– He could remember driving along the road just before the accident happened but he couldn’t remember the accident itself.
Try to do и try doing
Try to do = приложение усилий, попытка сделать что-то:
– I was very tired. I tried to keep my eyes open but I couldn’t.
– Please try to be quiet when you come home. Everyone will be asleep.
Try также означает `сделать что-то в качестве проверки, эксперимента’:
– Try some of this juice – perhaps you’ll like it.
– We tried every hotel in the town but they were all full. .
Если за try следует глагол, говорят: try – ing:
– `I can’t find anywhere to live.’ `Why don’t you try putting an advertisement in the newspaper?’
– I’ve got a terrible headache. I tried taking an aspirin but it didn’t help.