Студенты часто употребляют неправильные предлоги перед словами данного урока. Поэтому изучите эти примеры тщательно:
To pay BY cheque :
– Did you pay by cheque or in cash?
BY accident / BY mistake / BY chance:
– We hadn’t arranged to meet. We met by chance.
A play BY Shakespeare / a painting BY Rembrandt / a novel BY Tolstoy и т. д.:
– Have you read any books by Agatha Christie?
IN love WITH someone:
– Have you ever been in love with anyone?
– In my opinion the film wasn’t very good.
– Look! That car is on fire.
ON the telephone / ON the phone:
– You can’t phone me. I’m not on the phone.
– I’ve never met her but I’ve spoken to her on the phone.
ON television / ON the radio:
ON a diet:
– I’ve put on a lot of weight. I’ll have to go on a diet.
– There are no trains today. The railway workers are on strike.
ON holiday / ON business / ON a trip / ON a tour / ON an excursion / ON a cruise / ON an expedition etc.
– Tom’s away at the moment. He is on holiday in France.
– Did you go to Paris on business or on holiday?
– One day I’d like to go on a world tour.
Однако, можно сказать
`go to a place FOR a holiday / FOR my holiday ‘:
– Tom has gone to France for a holiday.
– Where are you going for your holidays this year?
FOR a walk / FOR a swim / FOR a drink и т. д.:
– She always goes for a walk with her dog in the morning.
– After work we went to a cafe for a drink.
FOR breakfast / FOR lunch / FOR dinner:
– What did you have for lunch?