A friend of mine / yours / his / hers / theirs. :
A friend of mine… A friend of Mary’s…
– We went to the country with some friends of ours.
– Ted quarreled with a sister of his.
– It was a good suggestion of yours to celebrate my birthday in the forest.
– That lady over there is a friend of my mother’s.
– It was a good idea of Sam’s to go fishing.
My own…/ your… и т. д.
Own используется только с личными местоимениями, а не с артиклем :
My / your / his / its / our / their
My own flat, your own house, her own computer
My own…= что-то, что принадлежит только мне:
– Do many young people in the USA have their own house?
– He doesn’t want to share with anyone. He wants his own room.
– Unfortunately the flat hasn’t
– It’s your own fault that you’ve no job.
– Why do you want to take my car? Why can’t you use your own?
Мы употребляем…own…, чтобы сказать, что мы делаем что-то сами, а не кто-то это делает за нас. Например:
– Jess always cuts her own nails.
– Does he grow his own vegetables?
On my own/ by myself
On my own и by myself оба означают alone.
– Mary likes living on her own / by herself.
– Did you come on your own / by yourself?
– Fred was sitting on his own / by himself in his room.
– Little children are not allowed to swim on their own / by themselves.