Past Perfect Tense образуется при помощи had + past participle.
Мы используем Past Perfect для того, чтобы показать:
1. Что действие было завершено до определенного момента в прошлом:
– I had written a letter by two o’clock.
2. Что одно действие было завершено перед другим действием в прошлом:
– She had already left when I came.
– I didn’t know what I should write. I had never written letters before.
Past Perfect – это прошедшее время от Present Perfect.
I’m not hungry. I’ve just had lunch.
The house is dirty. We haven’t cleaned it for weeks.
I wasn’t hungry. I’d just had lunch.
The house was dirty. We hadn’t cleaned it for weeks.
Сравните Past Perfect и Past Simple:
– Was Mary ready to go to the cinema when you came to her?
– Yes, she had been ready by the moment.
– Jack wasn’t in when I phoned him. He was in his office.
– Jack had just got home when I phoned him. He had been in his office.