Посмотрите на список конструкций глагол + предлог:
Search FOR someone/something:
– I’ve searched the whole house for my keys but I still can’t find them.
– The police are searching for the escaped prisoner.
Shout AT someone :
– He was very angry and started shouting at me.
Однако: shout TO someone :
– He shouted to me from the other side of the street.
Speak/talk TO someone :
– Hello, can I speak to Jane, please?
– Who was that man I saw you talking to in the pub?
Suffer FROM an illness:
– The number of people suffering from heart disease has increased.
Think ABOUT someone/something :
– You’re quiet this morning. What are you thinking about?
– I’ve thought about what you said and I’ve decided to take your advice.
– `Will you lend me the money?’
Think OF someone/something :
– He told me his name but I can’t think of it now.
– That’s a good idea. Why didn’t I think of that?
Мы также используем think OF, когда интересуемся чьим-то мнением или высказываем свое:
– `What did you think of the film?’ `I didn’t think much of it.’
Различие между think OF и think ABOUT иногда очень мало. Часто можно употреблять либо OF, либо ABOUT:
– My sister is thinking of going to Canada.
– Tom was thinking of buying a new car but changed his mind.
– When I’m alone, I often think of going to Canada.
Wait FOR someone/something:
– I’m not going out yet. I’m waiting for the rain to stop.
Write TO someone:
– Sorry I haven’t written to you for such a long time
Мы не ставим предлогов со следующими глаголами:
Phone someone: Did you phone your father yesterday?
Discuss something: We discussed many things at the meeting.
Enter : She felt nervous as she entered the room.